Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Empa Laboratory of Cellulose & Wood Materials invites applications for a postdoctoral fellowship position on cellulose biohybrid materials with a focus on biodegradable electronics.
Postdoc position on cellulose biohybrid materials
Together with our team of experienced scientists, you will develop the next generation of sustainable sensing and energy storage. This project bridges our activities in the fields of soft materials, cellulose-based electronics and additive manufacturing. Combining fundamental and applied science, the goal is to develop new material programmed sensing technologies and to further advance our work on biobatteries. We envision that the generated knowledge will lead to new functional materials with applications within smart packaging, logistics monitoring and environmental sensing.
- Advance the field of printed biodegradable sensing and energy storage systems for future application in e.g. integrated environmental, agriculture and food sensing.
- Develop tailored paper, nanocellulose and biopolymer based substrates that allow to store functional materials and enable on demand material triggered activation.
- Research biodegradable electric, dielectric and energy storage inks and printing processes.
- Design, characterize and validate printed materials and devices for specific applications and potential commercialization.
- Publish in peer-reviewed high-impact factor journals and present results at international conferences.
- PhD degree in material science, electrochemistry, chemical engineering or related fields
- Demonstrated aptitude for scientific creativity and non-conventional thinking
- Proven track record of publication in high-quality journals and good communication skills
- Experience in experimental research (e.g. material synthesis and processing, colloidal and interface science, electrochemistry) and talent for experimental design is required
- Entrepreneurial experience and interest is a benefit
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is a pre-condition
- Self-motivated, critical-thinking, open-minded and communicative, with a strong interest to work in an interdisciplinary research environment.
We are an international team dedicated to advance the development of a new generation of active, renewable and highly functional biomaterials using cellulose and wood as material resources. We offer a challenging position (one year with possible extension) in a research institution in the Zurich area with outstanding infrastructure and within a broadly interdisciplinary setting. The position is available immediately.