Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic
Biomedical engineering PhD student (100%)
for an interdisciplinary project, which represents a collaboration among Empa’s groups Multi-omics for healthcare materials, Cell-/Tissue Materials Interactions and Tissue-Regenerative Soft Materials.The goal of the project is to develop innovative, material-based approaches for the reprogramming of immune cells and contribute to cutting-edge research work with a high translational value. Applications of this project extend to the design of combinatorial cancer treatments, support of chronic wound-healing and control of autoimmune conditions.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- An enthusiastic and curious personality
- A background in biomedical engineering or related fields within natural sciences
- A strong academic record with high University grades
- Practical experience of work on research projects
- Strong communication skills with a good command of the English language
The project includes experimental work on polymer chemistry and cell culture work with immune cells, as well as usage of microfluidic chips. Experience in one of these areas, as well as a strong interest to develop a skill set in all directions is an important advantage. Knowledge of basic immunology is considered as a plus.
- A highly interdisciplinary and supportive environment with strong research and innovation projects
- High-level training in the understanding of materials-cells interactions and the development of innovative biomedical approaches
- Opportunities for a collaborative work within Empa, as well as with external academic and clinical partners
- An opportunity to further develop skills in data analysis
The PhD position (100%) is for the duration of three years. It is based at Empa, St. Gallen and it is available from September 2022, or upon mutual agreement.